This webpage is provided:
· At the top of Getting Started in Your Blackboard Course
· At the top of the Course Menu in Blackboard with the link Syllabus Resources
· At your instructor’s faculty website (This page has this Link Address: http://www.cjbibus.com/i_1301_main_syllabus.htm)
We will use this webpage for today, but you may want to use throughout the term. Examples:
· You lost your List of Due Dates.
· You want to search a digital copy of your syllabus to make sure your memory is right about the class policy about missing an exam.
This webpage provides:
If you want to copy any of the items below or other things on the Internet to your computer but you do not know how, click here for very basic tips.
While we cover these links,
I will sent around the handouts we will be covering.
Tip: I printed these handouts so you can mark on the pages as we talk. I even printed them with blank pages on the back so you can take more notes.
Supportive Tip: In all the years I have been teaching, I have:
o Rarely seen someone who never take notes in class do well. (At this moment, I can remember no one.)
o Rarely seen someone who does take notes in class not pass, with some doing very well.
Why? My joke is that making yourself take notes tells your brain to wake up and helps it notice when it is going to sleep or thinking about lunch.
Caution: Taking notes in a notebook when you are reading (especially if you have regular access to what you are reading) is never safe. If you want to know why, please ask.
· I will also send around WCJC’s form. You can do your signature any way you want on WCJC’s form. Caution: but you must print clearly your name in the Print column on WCJC’s form. Why?
· We also need to make sure you know about the General Information from WCJC that is below.
· Click on the link below if you want to see online the 1st handout you receive on the 1st day:
· 1st pages of your syllabus for your 11:00 AM Class Link Address: http://www.cjbibus.com/HIST_1301_F2F_Spring_2020_CRN21201-1st_2_pages.pdf
Things to notice: office hours (and where), disability and timing, your textbook plus an in-class tip
· Click on the link below if you want to see online the 2nd handout you receive on the 1st day:
· List of Due Dates for Your 11:00 AM Class–Link Address: http://www.cjbibus.com/HIST_1301_F2F_Spring_2020_CRN21201-ListDates.pdf
· Click here for a Searchable Syllabus with a Table of Contents. Link Address: http://www.cjbibus.com/HIST_1301_F2F_Spring_2020_TOC_Searchable.pdf
Tip: Use Ctrl+F to search for what you want.
3 Things to notice now: Self-Management (orange and blue dots), class timing, locking the door
· We use a seating chart in this class to take attendance. Why? We also use it to mark the orange and blue dots for the Self-Management and Participation grade. Why?
Note: I reserve the right to move anyone who does not follow class rules. Why? Those rules are fair to the class and they will help you as well.
· Before you leave for the day, decide where you want to sit for the rest of the term. If it is a popular area, come early the next day.
· In all the years I have been teaching, I have seen under 5 people choosing to sit on the back row who did well. Think about why you do that before you make that decision again. If you do not know why sitting on the back row lowers most people’s odds for success, I am glad to explain.
You come in and sit where you want to sit for the rest of the
term. Once I get you started on the pre-test, I will come around with the
What You Write in the Box I Point to: Last name, First name
You make a choice for a video (usually short) provided in
Blackboard that you want to do “Video Form.” I will give some brief tips and
pass a folder around with a place to sign for your choice.
You take the required Departmental Pre-Test. – Why I value it and
why you should
4. You must bring:
· Scan Tron
1. You need to bring whatever you use to be successful in a class. For many students, they bring
· A pen or pencil
A spiral notebook – They were cheap in
the sales before school.
I handout (temporarily) a copy of the Pre-test and your Scan Tron.
We go over any specific questions from the Pre-Test that you want to know
I carefully collect both.
4. We begin the content in Lesson 1 of Unit 1.
1. We do a lab in a computer room I will identify for you.
2. In the 50 minutes, we will be working on several things. One of them is a file that will become your 1st assignment.
Tip: The assignment is not a big deal for points or for intellectual challenge, but it is more like what a boss or customer (someone who pays you) would ask you to do than most writing assignments seem to be. It may be different for you all depending on your prior classes, but the skills needed are ones that the world pays for.
3. You must:
· Either bring something with you so you have a way to save the file
· Or know how to email to yourself.
1/31 I will be a day long class. You will have a day to work in Blackboard or on your Video Form so you have equivalent time to the Tuesday-Thursday classes.
Online at Blackboard Login Page -
Link Address: wcjc.blackboard.com -
Listen for the reasons in class.
I check these links only at the beginning of each term. If you click on them and they do not work, please copy the inaccurate link and email me at email@example.com so I can fix it. Tip: Once our Blackboard course opens, we will use email within the course.
· For RAVE: https://www.getrave.com/login/wcjc - Ask if you do not know why you really want this.
· For WCJC’s security home page: https://www.wcjc.edu/About-Us/administration/offices/security/
· For parking at WCJC https://www.wcjc.edu/About-Us/administration/offices/security/parking.aspx - The rules are at the top of the link. The link also covers how you do it if you are:
o If you are Richmond only
o If you are at Sugar Land only – Cautions: There is now a fee for parking at Sugar Land. The procedure you follow to purchase it depends on whether you receive financial aid or you do not.
If you are at both, the link above says that you need both.
Information If You Are Also Taking Classes at Sugar Land.
· Information That May Only For a way to get to Sugar Land without parking
· For how to order textbooks if you are on the Sugar Land Campus
History – Dr. Bibus
281.239.1577 or firstname.lastname@example.org